Sunday, February 19, 2012

Austin Half Marathon

Well, it's done. 2:07:08 I wish I'd gone a little faster, but I really can't complain. The whole experience was pretty awesome. My only complaint is about me. I COULD NOT SLEEP last night. At all. And it's nobody's fault but my own. My nervous energy just would not let me sleep. I ended up getting roughly three hours total. It sucked. But, barring that, I had a blast. From the beginning of the day to the end of the race, it was great. It was a little chilly and standing around got a little cold. But as the start time got closer and the sun started to come up, it got warmer. The lead up was great, Lance Armstrong got up and gave a great speech, the mayor of Austin gave a good speech, President Obama sent a telegram. And the moment when the National Anthem started and the whole group got quiet. Goosebumps!! The race was very hilly, up and down a lot. The first 5 miles were pretty much a long, long up hill. Then you make a turn and then it is downhill for about 4 miles. I bonked at mile 9-9.5, my legs just stopped. I walked for about 3 minutes. Then for the rest of the race it was mostly running with some walking. All in all, it was a great experience and I cannot wait for my next run. I've taken a two hour nap now and ate my weight in a Freebirds Burrito and had a couple of beers. I'm feeling pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment